Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A visit to beaver cottage before leaving on a very adventurous adventure


I won't tell you why it was that I came to Sam and Katie Marten's house so late, but I did. I arrived at no earlier than 11:50 p.m. Jared and Tyler had already gone to bed and I was informed that Jared, in particular, was upset that he would not be seeing me. Knocking apologetically on the door, I was greeted by a warm smile and immediate tenderness and care. Sam was promptly asked to go and get my luggage and I was shown into the kitchen for smart conversation and a glass of water. Why did Sam need to go get my luggage I asked myself. I was among family, among friends, among people concerned for me. Thank you Sam and Katie for a first stop on a fantastic journey. As I was shown my wonderful room and given soaps and towels for a morning bath, I was again thanking God for his blessings on this (the Marten) family. They have an amazing heart for Jesus. Katie, thank you for sharing your heart with me on the way to the airport. Your mothering inspires me and warms me. May the Lord richly bless you.




As I woke that morning for my trip I felt like Lucy or Peter or Susan ready to face a journey after their time with Mr. and Mrs. Beaver. Yes, that's what this house was: a refresher. There always is one in every good story. Think about Lord of the Rings and the keeper of the forest who allows them to stay in his manor as long as they wish, until they are ready to depart.




Excerpts from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

"They were standing on the edge of a steep, narrow valley at the bottom of which ran-- at least it would be running if it had not been frozen, a fairly large river. Just below them a dam had been built across the river and when they saw it everyone suddenly remembered that of course, beavers are always making dams and felt quite sure that Mr. Beaver had made this one. So it was only common politeness when Susan said, 'What a lovely dam!' And Mr. Beaver didn't say 'Hush' this time but, 'Merely a trifle, merely a trifle."
'Here we are and it looks as if Mrs. Beaver is expecting us. I'll lead the way.'
The first thing Lucy noticed was a kind, lovely she-beaver sitting in the corner with a thread in her mouth working busily at her sewing.
'So you've come at last. At last, to think that ever I would see this day! The potatos are on boiling, the kettle's singing and I daresay, Mr. Beaver will get us some fish.'
'That I will' said Mr. Beaver.
............
'There's no time to lose.' Everyone began bundling themselves into coats except Mrs. Beaver who started picking up sacks and started laying them on the table and said: 'Now Mr. Beaver just reach down that ham.'
'What are you doing Mrs. Beaver?' said Susan.
'Packing a load for each of us dearie, you didn't think we'd set out on a journey with nothing to eat, did you?'

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis, 1950.



And that is how it was with me, I arrived, I was given food and rest and sent on my way prepared for the journey. Thanks Marten Family.

1 comment:

  1. Heather, this is a darling post! I know you appreciated Sam and Katie and this shows it. They are a precious family. This is a post that Jared and Tyler might enjoy also even though they weren't awake when you arrived.

    ReplyDelete