Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Finding the French Farmtable


Happy summer to you. I've always got a picture in my head of what I'm looking for when I hit the thrift stores. If you wait a few days it'll be gone, but you if you buy everything see you end up with a house of junk. After years of thumbing through magazines and thinking about style, I know how to trust that feeling that whispers: Buy this. A few months ago, (winter) I walked into our local thrift store and spotted a wonderful farm table, all wood. I grabbed it up and decided I would refinish it. I left the legs as they are to add a sense of shabby.

Knowing how to see beauty in a thrift store takes a little practice.


Notice the subtle lines and curves that add layers of meaning to this piece.



It was my first time sanding and staining. I did a great first-time job, but probably need to sand it down again and get it perfectly smooth. The legs of the table are left as is.


The hand-written words say "be gracious" in french, adding a little romantic charm and personality to the already simply sweet table. Don't wait too long to come by for a meal. Next on the list is finding the perfect chairs to go around this household hub-bub.

No comments:

Post a Comment