Friday, June 25, 2010

A broken window



Last week I was staying up very late because I was so excited about my trip. I was watching Shawshank Redemption and was at the part where Morgan Freeman is walking to the boat on the Mexico coast line. I was ready for bed. A gun shot sounded or at least it felt like that. I was in shock and didn't move. I finally got up to realize someone had thrown a mango sized rock at my window (three feet away from my head). Thankfully I have double pane windows and it did not break through. I immediately called 911.
Now this is where it gets interesting. An officer came within five minutes. Officer Andrew. He consoled me and looked genuinely concerned. He then informed me that Officer Jared was on his way and was particularly mad about the whole ordeal. You see Officer Jared and his wife live in the house behind me and have a similar color house as mine. Jared and Vicki and I have often shared a good laugh outside and talked about grass, lawns, or painting, or the neighborhood. He was even the officer to respond one night in the early years of this house when I thought I heard a scary noise (silly I know). Jared was very concerned and thought maybe the culprit had intended his house and had accidentally hit mine. He didn't want any harm for him to come to me unintended. As we talked the two policemen learned of my trip and decided to place my house on watch. Since then it's been quiet and I've seen a police car drive by twice already in the pm.

The next morning I headed over to the Freehlings for a little chat with coffee, and they were equally concerned and talked with me about fixing my window and what I needed to do. Dave told me he would begin to park his car next to my house and talked to me about getting timers on my lights inside. Officer Jared showed me where to put the outside light I'm installing.

Dad, I know it's hard for you sometimes to think about your little girl being up here, but God has really nestled me amongst angels and I praise Him for it.

2 comments:

  1. Heather, I am glad you are OK after the ordeal with your window. Lifting you up to the Heavenly Father every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, that was a close call! Good thing the double-paned window saved your life. And thank God it's just a rock and not a bullet. The cops were awesome. It makes you breath easy that they are around, right?

    ReplyDelete