Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Shakespeare's Globe Theater



Watching Henry VIII at the Globe Theater was pretty amazing. We were able to buy tickets for gallery seats and also purchase cushions to sit on. I sat by a nice couple whose husband worked in parliament. I was able to ask him fun political questions and he was able to tell me what Britons think about the House of Lords. Though I was unable to see parliament in action, I felt that this small conversation made up in some way.

Before the play, we were able to ask a few locals for a good place to eat and we were referred to a small Indian food place around the corner from other larger places that seemed more touristy. The setting was beautiful and the fine linens added to the evening. I was able to try rose sherbet water and we were served flat bread with lamb and vegetables and spices cooked on an open flame. We were asked if we wanted to have our meal with an egg or not. I went all the way and ordered the egg on top. The name of the restaurant is Tas Pide, Anatolia's authentic eating experience. The dish we ate is called kayisili. Pictures follow.









After the restaurant, we found our seats and found out we could not film or take pics during the performance. Henry VIII is a play that really focuses on Queen Katherine and her plight. Hearing this play made me wish I could have heard it a few years ago. It really speaks to the wife who is tossed off and replaced. In focusing on Cardinal Wolsey, I think Shakespeare wants us to remember that even the most status hungry people can be reminded of their convictions.

Before seeing the play, I read the play and then was able to "teach" it to Paul and Heidi. Heidi more than Paul because I would tell her about it as I was reading it. She really got excited about it, more than she would have if she'd not known the story. I was able to answer questions for my neighbors and Heidi and Paul as well.

Before leaving on my trip, I added an app to my phone that contained the entire Henry VIII play. When accents were confusing I was able to follow with the app, this really added to things as well. Most memorable night in London.

1 comment:

  1. Everything about the evening sounds amazing. I wish I could have experienced it with you. I would love to be critiquing and enjoying the food with you....it's so much fun. You know how expressive my family is during meals....you should have heard us in Italy while we were eating!

    ReplyDelete