Saturday, July 17, 2010

Notre Dame




Heidi and I decided to visit Notre Dame on Sunday at 8 a.m. We were to participate in a mass that morning. Sadly as this was one of our first days to travel the metro, we ended up being 20 minutes late. When one enters the Notre Dame, there is simply no more talking. No one tells you this, you simply feel it. As we silently made our way around the cathedral, we listened to the priest give mass. Some people were joining the group, but we felt since it was marked off and closed we should not go it. I watched from a respectful distance. Heidi walked around to a candle lighting area and spent some time in quiet. As I watched the mass, a man who seemed to be in charge came over to me and in a very heavy French accent said "It is for you too." and invited me inside the central area to finish the mass with the others. I quietly tried for Heidi's attention and then we were both able to go inside. I was deeply touched by this show of Agape love. He had no idea who I was or if I even knew Jesus, but he wanted me to feel welcome. Later, he and the priest personally helped us to find the French Holocaust Memorial, little known and well hidden behind the Notre Dame.









No comments:

Post a Comment