Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Eurpoean Bathrooms



Let me begin by saying to all those who are curious that you don't have to pay for every single bathroom you come to. I had nightmares of a trickle down my pant leg while frantically trying to pick out the 20 pence coin in my change bag. Oh bother! At one moment I was able to slip into a bowling alley and, strolling confidently on, found a bathroom with no trouble. If you want to believe I am naturally adept in travel tricks, then please go on thinking so. Most of the bathrooms have a "port-a-potty" red and green (full/empty) sign that has the potential to look like a change slot. I could see how hearing stories of paying for toilets could lead one to believe these are for pay only. This is not the case. It was this exact thought among other confusions that caused me just to wait for Heidi when I first arrived. Had I been on my own I would've been just fine, but when you know someone is coming sometimes it's easier to wait.

The first bathroom I walked into had three door choices. I was confused as to which one to go in and confused by what I found inside (the stalls that looked like they had coin slots on them), and quickly went back out. It was comforting to see other Americans as confused as I was. No brain damage on this girl, just ignorance. Oh well, gotta learn sometime. The second bathroom I walked into was like walking up to a six flags ride where you move through the turning bars and go on the ride. It cost 50 cents to go. As soon as I was finished, a mechanical arm from behind the toilet moved out and began to spray and wipe the toilet seat. Amazingly, the arm did not move, but the seat moved!

Another bathroom I walked into in a mall had lovely pewter coin dishes for a donation. I thought of it as tipping and put in a few pence. I wondered who collected the money because it seemed very unprotected. I'll be in Paris by this weekend and hope to have other European bathroom experiences to share. Cheers!

The following video has no sound, still trying out new camera.


2 comments:

  1. This is great. I remember well my experiences with the WC. MUCH better than India! I think my mom had read up on using the restroom there before we left and she educated us on what to do.
    My favorite toilets are the ones that have 2 buttons...one for "light flush", and one for "big flush"! I just think that is sooo very smart and efficient, and eco friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty amazing...try the squatty potties of Southeast Asia :)

    ReplyDelete