Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bringing Up Brother or The Summers' Girls Know How To Pick 'Em or The Romantic Life of Summers



I called Tris last night just to say "hi" and found out he had surprised Melissa with a night out on the town in Austin, Texas. How very thoughtful, because he knew it was their favorite city. It's thinkgs like that that get me thinking about little Tris and how his three sisters made sure he opened doors and pulled out chairs.

"I have nothing else to teach you. You graduated." we both laugh and you can hear the love bubbling over like a hot spring.

I remember the night Tristan was given permission to date Melissa-- I was home that night, down from Colorado. He was going to take her to a movie and then to Denny's to talk."No, you can't do it that way, Tris. How much do you like this girl? How important is she to you? Romance her. Woo her. Set her apart. That night Tristan did not ask Melissa out, nor did he for a long while; however the romance that followed would melt any girls heart.

Then there's dear PaPaul, who decided to insert himself into by inviting himself to dinner. He washed dishes and shined bathroom fixtures, loving Heidi through his work.

Marriage seems to be the beginning not the end for the romantic lives of Summers' girls. Just a few weeks ago Paul found a way to send Heidi flowers while he himself was in Iraq. Heidi brought no hope chest to her marriage, so during their engagement he hand carved one for her. Not long after their wedding he went searching for a locket-- one with that seemed like it had history. Who buys lockets anymore? PaPaul does!

So the older sister once looked at by her younger siblings is now looking at them. Sometimes when it's quiet I wonder if it will happen to me again. How will he find me tucked away in my sleepy mountain town? Maybe it's because I don't have the right last name. Maybe it I change my name he will be able to find the lucky Summers girl living in Colorado.

3 comments:

  1. O Heather, every winsome thing about our lives has been influenced by you, our lovely sister...i wouldn't have dropped my prideful feelings about having Paul take me to a dance if you hadn't given "big sister" approval :) and that dance was just the beginning of my walls of resistance to Paul coming down...whoever finds Heather finds more than luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, my precious eldest, you are less tucked away than you think! Read Psalm 38:9 (NIV) "All my longings lie open before you, O Lord; my sighing is not hidden from you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I never changed my name. I love my name. It is me. More than anything.

    ReplyDelete