Sunday, April 10, 2011

Apple Blossom Enjoys Austin, Texas

Highlights of a quick but wonderful Spring Break at my favorite (albeit limited experience, but...) capitol city, Austin, Texas. The pictures you see are not from my camera since I left my camera at home. So sad.







  • Staying in a crisply decorated "mid-century modern" decorated home. Melissa and Tristan Summers have perfected the domestic home ideas from the 50s and 60s. Lots of punchy colors, wood textures, clean lines, and non-glare light. Melissa loves all things fresh and natural, so the house of smelled of tea tree oil, or eucalyptus or fresh cut vegetables. Tristan is a hound for relaxing after work with a drink of sorts and a small snack while going over the days events. I could go on about great details of the decor, but anyone who reads this has already been there. I wish I could remember the name of the man who developed the dinnerware that inspired the furniture, or was it the other way around? Oh well. Ironically, their apartment complex has many mid century architect points as well. 

  • Using the Austin metro transit to run errands and look around town. It took me awhile to get on the right bus, but once I was one, nothing to it. I did get into trouble when I entered through the side door and not the front door- a big no no. Let me tell you folks its really good to do things not in tune with your daily routine. Heidi, thanks for going to Paris with me. 


  • Eating at Franklin's BBQ. Can we say B-B-QQQQQQ! This place was off the charts full of atmosphere. It turns out Franklin is some young modern Austinite with tastebuds for smokey brisket. The joint opened at 11. We arrived at 11:20 and the line was already out the down and down the steps. The aroma of BBQ swelled the already humid air. The line went quickly. As we reached the front, Franklin was there himself to cut the brisket for us. We had wonderful quick conversation and he encouraged us to enjoy his food. His wife was busy serving drinks to people in line. As we left at 12:40 she was hanging the "We're out of meat" sign and talking to the last guy in line. Great BBQ.

  • Eating at Koriente - Ginger lemonade, bubble tea, fresh korean inspired noodle dishes. Lovely atmosphere. Can I just say that the service was singularly friendly. I've learned that if you're honest about it being your first time, waitresses are more than happy to help-- they're proud of their food. And if they're not, well you know what that means. 

  • Eating at Mandola's Italian Market - My absolute favorite place of them all. Thinly cut zucchini flash fried then marinated in red wine and mint. Pearl onion slowly roasted sweet then put in an oil vinegar mixture. Perfectly baked focaccia bread. The atmosphere was wonderful. No waiter to push us on our way. Rows of wine. Bowls of wonderfully marinated antipasta treats and a pretty collection of gelato at the end. Wonderful. Conversation made this dinner the best. On top of that we ate at my absolute favorite time of day-- that time of day where everything looks pink. You know that expression "rose colored glasses"? Well right as the sun is going down before it turns burnt orange, it's a beautiful shade of pink. Look for it sometime. I know it stays that way awhile in Canon. 

  • Gelato at Cafe Teo - Salted Carmel and Dark chocolate that felt like silk on your tongue.

  • Gelato at Dolce Finale - Fun affordable flavors. Mom and Dad and I went there in the afternoon and again that night, but don't tell anyone. Shhhh.



  • Harry Ransom Museum - The Gibson Bible. Folks this was amazing to see. The binding were the size of a thumb. The pages were visibly thick. The drop cap was hand painted and pasted into the writing. Knowing I was looking at something centuries old was inspiring. How odd to think that the first book, upon learning this amazing feat, wanted to create the bible!!

  • Tour of the Capitol - I was able to begin my day by riding with Tristan to the Capitol. From there I entered the Visitor Center building. I was able to see the Goliad flag and other important Texas artifacts. As I admired them I wondered if other states inspired such pride. I walked over to the capitol and joined a tour with one other person. Shannon was our tour guide. He was completely charming and knowledgeable. 

  • Visiting Tris at work. I was able to see his corner table. It was really endearing to see his space in the capitol. He was clearly the young,new bloke on the ladder. He always looked amazing when going to the capitol to work, and it was clear that his interest in dressing well and presenting himself well had paid off. I felt he stood out from others, but then I'm the older sister. 
  • Visiting Nurse Melissa. Dad wanted to see Melissa so we found her school and for some reason I felt we needed to get flowers. We found some lovely irises that had not opened. Her office space is very small and windowless. She works continually and stays alert to all the students in her care. She handles the kids with such ease and love.

  • Seeing Mom and Dad. Dad eating my veggie lasagna. All I can say is thanks Dad for loving my food so verbally. It's fun to hear. I'll have to post the recipe. The ultimate compliment from you.

  • Walking down streets in SoCo. So much life, fashion, and style concentrated here. For just walking down this street you get extra points. Eating at Hey Cupcake was cute. The cup cake was one of the best I've ever had. 

  • Monday Comedy Night at ColdTowne - This place has potential. This was hilarious. I dragged Tris to this place (albeit NOT kicking and screaming) to see their adlib comedy. It was a Monday night. Upon entering the atmosphere was the typical "Cheers" feeling. We stepped up to the bar and here's how the conversation went: 
Bar Tender: What can I get you?
Me: I'll have a ginger ale.( I point to the ginger ale bottle sitting against the back glass. There to show customers what they have. )
Bar Tender: O.k. (pause) Well I would be glad to get you a ginger ale, but our refrigerator just broke this afternoon and everything's hot. 
Me: Oh o.k. (I point to the apple juice.) I'll have a bottle of apple juice. 
Bar Tender: Good choice. Well I would be glad to get you a bottle of apple juice, but our supplier didn't show up today. 
This happened through Tristan's order as well. We finally laughed. What else can you do?
At last the bar tender told us we were welcome to walk to the gas station across the street and bring in whatever we wanted. Hilarious!! Only in Texas and only on Monday night at a comedy club. 

The acts weren't that great, but were wanted to see this little girl of 8 at the very end. She was actually pretty good. The funniest moment came when she and her mom where acting. They were in a pretend pet store and the mom was play the part of the daughter and the daughter was playing the part of the mom. The mom (acting as daughter) kept oggling one pet in particular. The mom said "I'm going to get that one." The daughter (acting as mom) paused and looked slying at her "daughter" and said "Yeah, but not before I do." O.k. maybe you needed to be there. 

Other highlights:
  • Seeing Paul and Heidi. 
  • Seeing Holly.
  • Meeting Bethany's parents and other family members. I was so touched to meet this amazing couple. It really answered many questions. Tim sat and visited with me at breakfast, and Elaine I were able to get a few laughs in. 
  • Meeting GiGi and turning into a blubbering baby like all the other adults in the room. 
  • San Angelo - Beautiful city!!
  • Seeing Paula and John.
  • Seeing possible property purchases for Tris and Melis.
  • Spending time thinking about things besides school. 
  • Having Tristan, Melissa, John Ryan, and Bethany stay at my house. Tiramisu and port. 
  • Coming home to a clean house and a sane (most of the time) roommate.
Tristan and Melissa, thank you for a wonderful stay. It was relaxing, refreshing with a hint of adventure and excitement. A perfect combination. 



No comments:

Post a Comment