Sunday, April 26, 2009

Reading Othello in Middle School


When the curriculum director informed that Romeo and Juliet would fall to ninth grade this year, I was suddenly at an impass. What Shakespeare play could I possibly teach that connected to young teens in such a strong way. I especially had to look out for my boys. I wanted to make sure they were not overwhelmed with the romanticism of Shakespeare. For months I tossed around King Lear, then Much Ado, even Mid Summer's (which has way to many plots to be an introductory play). My favorite play has always been Othello. This play's short introductory love story is so strong that you can almost forgive the blood bath in the end... almost. So Rachel and I were talking and she mentioned Othello as well. Off I went to research and see if this would be a fitting play to introduce these young minds to this wonderful playwright. More to come...

1 comment:

  1. Hi there. I found your blog when I googled "Othello in Middle School" because I am trying to get a sense as to what is out there for this play. In my experience as a drama teacher, I have found really great adaptations (preserving the language and intent) for all other Shakespeare plays except Othello. I was wondering if no one wanted to touch it because of its intense themes. Have you found a decent adaptation? I am thinking about writing one for a master's thesis. I'd love your thoughts on teaching this play to older children.

    Thanks!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete